My 20's can be summed up in one word worry
I worried a lot.
I could finally tick the adult box.
I was expected to have figured out what I wanted to do and how I was going to make it.
There was no room for thinking cause you were supposed to have it figured out.
Especially for me as the first born in the family I was supposed to be an example to my siblings.
There was a lot of pressure.
It was so hard but one of the marks of being an adult is standing up for yourself.
So I did, I managed to do what I wanted to do in college. It was a struggle. Then you finish and now the real task begins. Parents ask every
week, "how's the job hunting going?" then it changed to " there is this receptionist job I think you should apply for"
Well I worried a lot more after that.
- Worried about disappointing my parents
- Worried when I'd ever receive my first income
- Worried if I'd ever get an internship let alone a job
- Worried if i should become an entrepreneur
- Worried if I should change career
- Worried about not making it
I almost want to protect and nurture them. But they have to learn and find their own path.
So here is what I'd tell 21 year old me [even though I actually did some of them eventually]
- You don't have to figure your life right now.
- You will still disappoint people, be it yourself or others and yes even your parents
- Continue being passionate about what you and continue to discover more about yourself and your passions
- Take more risks, stop playing safe.
- Take chances and seize opportunities
- No situation is permanent
- Don't be afraid to fail
- Don't hold grudges
- Forgive your parents, they mean well
- Be there for your siblings, don't give up on them
- Read books that will build you and your character
- Accept yourself
- Create great friendships
- Don't afraid to be vulnerable to the right people
- Don't shut people out
- Life isn't always as you plan, embrace life and learn from it
- People will not always have your best interest at heart, learn to forgive and let go
- Celebrate people and be kind
- Expect good things to happen to you
- You are blessed and highly favored and God has a good plan for your life
- You will make it
- You are beautiful, believe it, and others will too
- You have great talent, give yourself room to grow
- Life is not always easy, hard times come, learn from them
- People don't have to get you, you just be yourself
- Love will find you, embrace it
- Focus on God
- Finally [before 21 year old me gets tired]
- GOD HE IS ALWAYS THERE FOR YOU HE WILL NEVER LEAVE NOR FORSAKE YOU