Wednesday 23 March 2016

BEING A RUTH [PART 1] LESSONS FROM LADY IN WAITING

BEING A RUTH
[PART 1]

LESSONS FROM LADY IN WAITING



I read a lot and when a book has impact on me I share it [not lend it per say] but recommend it. This particular book was gifted to me by a friend in 2011 and the lessons probably speak more to me now than when I first read it.
I am sure by now most of you have read LADY IN WAITING by Jackie Kendall and Debby Jones. If not and you are a single Christian woman or are a woman wanting to disciple and mentor single Christian women this is a great book to get.
It is loosely based on the book of Ruth and draws lessons from the whole Bible. It is closely related to a previous article I wrote
 Looking for Naomi.
This is more about being Ruth and what it means
I this post and the next I will give an overview of what it means to be a Lady in Waiting and share a bit about my personal journey. Yes this is a very personal post as well, so here goes…..
LADY OF RECKLESS ABANDONMENT
This is one who recklessly abandons herself to the Lordship of God by diligently trusting Him with her state of singleness. A woman becomes a woman when she becomes what God wants her to be. Fulfilment for a Christian woman begins with the Lordship of Christ in every area of her life.
I like how it sounds, reckless abandonment. It’s almost like you do not have a care in the world. In our African culture the male figure in your life is your identity whether it’s your dad, brother, husband, son, you are practically invisible unless you have male accompaniment. I actually read a blog yesterday that says how hard it is to travel as a single African Woman in Africa as a tourist. It was funny how suspicious they treated the blog author. It was almost like she was suspected of a crime. She has been treated better in other countries but Africa is another ball game, you need to have a male companion.

Thank God in His Word it’s not like that. He wants us to recklessly abandon ourselves to following Him. Ruth had left all she know that is why it was reckless. She didn’t not think and counter think she just did because in her heart of hearts she had nothing to lose. She was a new widow and her father-in-law was also dead. Even in Moab life was going to be difficult but now she had God.
As a Christian African Woman I do have God and I have nothing to lose when I choose to surrender all to Him. It’s not the easiest thing in our culture because even when you don’t have a care in the world some auntie or relative will have that care for you and convince you how it should be a care for you as well. But ideally the depth of my relationship with God is up to me. No one can interfere unless I let them.
Colossians 2:9-10New King James Version (NKJV)
For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily; 10 and you are complete in Him, who is the head of all principality and power.
LADY OF DILIGENCE
To be a lady of diligence to me means living my life and keeping busy not having a pity party and feeling sorry for myself alone at home. Trust me I have been there done that and I realized life was passing me by.
So I did the exercise in the book and decided to see just how dedicated I was and how I was using my time in service to God. I can say I am doing well so far. Better than I thought. So let me just list them and suggest, male or female you may want to consider these as you wait.
And note that this is a huge sacrifice

·         Ministry of Teaching –sharing with others your faith, not just receiving the Word for yourself
·         Ministry of Encouragement – sharing a word or two to someone who is down
·         Ministry of prayer – pray with a prayer partner on a regular basis for you and others
·         Ministry of service- be of use where you are before God brings someone to care for you
·         Ministry of Writing-write a postcard or letter of encouragement like Paul in New Testament
·         Ministry of Listening- Listen to one who needs and ear without giving advice but praying silently for them
·         Ministry of Hospitality- Go the extra mile with the sick, bereaved and needy. Make a care meal, sit with them, visit them etc
·         Ministry of Helps- help with daily tasks once in a while, shopping, errands etc
They all make a huge difference in someones life and can be scheduled into daily routines. And yes you can still join the choir if that is what you prefer
LADY OF FAITH
I know that for me this is big because sometimes I do let anxiety and worry overwhelm me. I like the scripture
Romans 10:17New King James Version (NKJV)
17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

It just means that I can increase my faith by continuously being in God’s Word.
God knows what I need and when I need it and I don’t have to live a life where I fret over all the details.
 I decided to just give this year a diligently obey God attitude and see where it leads. Trust me for a planner like me that is no easy task, but I can say so far so good and I am way happier for sure.
LADY OF VIRTUE
Ruth went through many life trials for sure and even after leaving all she knew she got into a situation of new culture and new people and the people were known to despise her people.
That is tough by any standard. But Ruth was a person who just sought God and did what she was meant to do and her character got her noticed pretty similar to Rebekah and how she met Abraham’s servant. Being a girl in a pastoralist’s family was not easy, it was hard labor.
But you cannot beat character no matter the situation.
I try to live a life that speaks for me and my character. I try to be as authentic as possible and be true to myself and to truthful with others.
I am also very self-aware and will probably fight a wrong view of me but I have also lived a life where people have given me so many opinions of what I should be like that I almost lost myself once and was very unhappy. I only change when god asks me to. I recommend you do the same.
LADY OF DEVOTION
God created woman to love Him and experience His blessedness of fellowship with Him.
I have come to understand the important role I play as a woman in society and the influence I have over others. Both fellow women and men as well. I have decided to use the influence in a way that I help people see their need for God and get closer to Him.
I have since then developed a very strong emotion against negative vibes. I just do not like it because it does not help.
That is how simple I can define what I want to accomplish. I do it in various ways but my ultimate goal is to let people know God loves them and all will be alright and it will work out.
Jeremiah 29:12-13New King James Version (NKJV)
12 Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. 13 And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.

For me its all or nothing, and it’s a serious commitment because I know Christ is fully committed to me.
BLESSED EASTER EVERYONE

No comments:

Post a Comment